Friday 18 May 2012

Leak Finding

I have been running horribly + playing horribly for the past few days. I dropped a whopping $600+ over the past few days. I am sure that I have tonnes of leaks that I need to plug at 50nl.

Therefore, I bought leak buster to leak find and it actually confirmed my suspicion that I had tonnes of leaks in my Blind Play in 50NL. I also have lots of other leaks as well.

According to Leak Buster, my most critical leak is when I am in the small blind.

(1)Leaks at small Blind:


  • I am 4 betting a little too often here. 
  • Aggression from SB is too high. I need to look for more situation to check call in my game instead of cbetting frequently. 


These make sense at 50nl. At 25nl, I am so used to cbetting and getting people to fold. But at 50nl, people do not fold as easily. Good players know that I am opening a wide range here and they have a good grasp of their equity. Overall, I lost about $461 at sb when it is unopened to me in 1279 hands. Assuming that I folded all my hands at the SB, I would have lost only $319. This is confirmed by the fact that I am playing almost 39% of my hands when it is folded to me in the small blind. Certainly a big leak here, and I should have played tighter than this, esp since 50nl players know I am stealing wide. I can't play weak hands OOP profitably.

Some hands as indicated by leakbusters that I misplayed my hands at SB (Lots of hands have similar pattern here):


Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

BTN: $32.95 (65.9 bb)
Hero (SB): $78.32 (156.6 bb)
BB: $56 (112 bb)
UTG+1: $56.89 (113.8 bb)
UTG+2: $24 (48 bb)
MP1: $36.82 (73.6 bb)
MP2: $50 (100 bb)
MP3: $67.62 (135.2 bb)
CO: $24.39 (48.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A of clubs 9 of hearts
7 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3) Q of hearts Q of spades 3 of diamonds (2 players)
Hero bets $2, BB raises to $4, Hero raises to $10, BB calls $6

Turn: ($23) 4 of diamonds (2 players)
Hero bets $14, BB raises to $44.50 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: $51 pot ($2.30 rake)
Final Board: Q of hearts Q of spades 3 of diamonds 4 of diamonds
Hero mucked A of clubs 9 of hearts and lost (-$25.50 net)
BB mucked and won $48.70 ($23.20 net)



Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

BTN: $42 (84 bb)
Hero (SB): $54.14 (108.3 bb)
BB: $66.15 (132.3 bb)
UTG+1: $74.59 (149.2 bb)
UTG+2: $49.50 (99 bb)
MP1: $73.37 (146.7 bb)
MP2: $75.23 (150.5 bb)
MP3: $54.39 (108.8 bb)
CO: $26.56 (53.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K of diamonds 8 of diamonds
7 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3) J of spades 9 of clubs 8 of spades (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $2, Hero raises to $6, BB calls $4

Turn: ($15) 3 of spades (2 players)
Hero bets $10, BB raises to $58.65 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results: $35.00 pot ($1.58 rake)
Final Board: J of spades 9 of clubs 8 of spades 3 of spades
Hero mucked K of diamonds 8 of diamonds and lost (-$17.50 net)
BB mucked and won $33.42 ($15.92 net)


(2) Leaks at Button


  • I am currently 4 betting too much from the Button. 
  • I am doing a good job in playing hands in position but I could increase my winrate by 3 betting more/folding some of these hands in certain spots. But my question is, how on earth do I know when to 3 bet/fold/call, cold call, squeeze etc etc! Well, this is some homework that I should be doing to plug this leak. 
  • According to leak buster, 3 betting from the BTN is very important in improving my win rate. I should always try to build a big pot when I have position. This is something that I am not doing enough. And I fully agree with this leak highlighted by leakbuster. 
  • Leakbuster also pointed out that for players 3 betting in the optimal range, they can have win rate that is at least 4-6bb/100 more than what I currently achieve given my current win rate. 
  • My W$SD is too low. I should have folded some of my hands at turn or river. 
  • Woah.... big big leak here. 
(3) W$SD%

  • OMG... I have turned into a calling station. 
  • I have caught the fancy play syndrome. 
  • I am not folding turn and river enough.
  • I am losing money at showdown most of the time.
  • Must learn how to fold fold fold!

(4) Making river bluff and getting caught.

  • I have shown a tendency to make this line when I bluff: Bet flop, check turn and bet river. I am losing tonnes of money from this play. 
  • Not saying that this line is not good, but it seems like I am picking up the wrong spot to bluff. 
  • My bet sizing (bluff) at river is also causing me to lose alot of money as I am currently betting at least 50% PSB as bluff. 
  • Leakbuster recommends that vs strong player, they tend to call down lighter if I bet flop on a draw heavy board and then checking turn. Thus my river bluff works badly. 
  • I should be making river bluff if I suspect villain is on a draw, it a generally weak player who check and call alot. A small river bluff is often sufficient to fold out villain drawing hand. A bigger river bets here is a big leak I need to plug. 
(5) Cold calling too much with suited connectors in MP

  • Over the 70k hands sample size, I am losing money when I cold call with SC in MP. 
  • Though it is good to play these hand IP, I am over doing it. 
  • I should be more inclined to call only if weaker player raise from EP and there are no aggressive 3 bettor behind me. 

Well, leak buster indicated that I still have many other leaks apart from these. But these are the most critical leaks I need to plug urgently as they are losing me lots of money. Over the next 1 week, I will be paying alot of attention to these leaks and remedy them!

1 comment:

  1. interesting blog, i'll be following it

    3) 3betting in position should be +EV generally
    5) you can 3bet those yourself too ;)

    I've never used LeakBuster, is it worth it ? maybe it's too soon to tell

    ReplyDelete