Saturday 19 May 2012

Leak Finding: Blind Defense

It has been hell for the past 2 weeks. Though I managed to reach my targeted vpp for this month, I do realised that I simply sucked in cash game at 50nl. All my leaks started to surface and haunt me . Therefore, for the next 2 weeks, I will be studying my game as well as leak find.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I suck big time in defending my blinds. Though I defended my blinds pretty well at 25nl, it was through exploiting players who do not defend their steals enough. I can't do this profitably in 50nl.

Thus, I will be researching on the topic of blind defense and hopefully, I will stop leaking so much money in the blinds.

Blind Defense:


1. Basic Strategy

  • There are 2 ways : (1) 3 betting  (2) cold calling
(1) If I chose to 3 bet, I should try betting slightly overpot to better define opponent range. (Example, if BTN is raising 3BB, I should 3 bet to 11bb).

(2) If I chose to cold calling, check raising a balanced range will be the main weapon.


  • Depends on position and range of raiser.
(1) vs EP - if EP is a nit, even  in 6 max, I should not be 3 betting with AQ/JJ/TT. It is better to cold call with these hands. 

(2)vs Stealing position, I should open up my calling range and strongly value bet my strong ranges. 

2.  3 - betting game
  • I need to balance my 3 betting game with a polarised range. 
(1) Value hands - Jam these hands over 4 bet as default. 

Example, 

QQ+, AK  vs nit
TT+, AQ+ vs LAG


(2) Bluffing range - Fold to 4 bet as a default.

Example
KTo, J7s, etc. Basically hands that have blocker value against strong opponents and plays ok if called.

3. Cold Calling game


  • Cold call with hands that play well post flop, have good implied odds, esp vs bad players. Example, don't fold KTs vs fish!
  • Check raising a balanced range vs good opponent who cbet too much
  • .In general,
(1) vs bad opponents, C/R valuehand only if they are CS. C/R dry flop if opponents is weak. 
(2) vs strong opponents, give up when I have no equity or nothing to rep. C/R a balanced range. 

Example, Do not C/R when I have 55 and flop is K33. By check raising, only hand I can reasonably represent is A3? or something like that. There are so few combos that I can rep here here and strong opponent can pick up on this and call me light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment