Tuesday 8 May 2012

50nl challenges ... ...

Having played about 20k+ hands in 50nl, I realised that what works in 25nl doesn't apply in 50nl.

The winning players at 50nl is so much tougher than the good players at 25nl and the tables are so much more aggressive. At 25nl, I can raise 89 suited UTG and get many to fold their hands or at the minimum fold to my flop cbet. At 50nl, people started to 3 bet me light forcing me to fold 89 or play a mediocre hand OOP. People starts to float alot, raise my flop cbet and having a good grasp of their pot equity.

And I realised that double barreling doesn't work in 50nl as well. I would say at least 80% of the players there uses HUD and almost every regulars there are HUD user. They can see that I have a high flop cbet and turn cbet frequency and know how to deal with it. Urghh.... to put it simply, I simply cannot exploit 50nl players as easily as I could at 25nl.

So what now? I am about breaking even in 50nl currently, and looking at some of my hand histories, I realised that my play was too straightforward. For example, every time I have TPTK on the board, I would bet and bet. This simply can't work in 50nl now, especially vs sharks. I need to mix up my play and metagame is so much more important now.

I will have to admit that I am not the best regulars at 50nl for the time being. I can't outwit and outplay alot of good rgulars at 50nl. I can't play 18/16 like what some of the sharks there did. However, I can start by playing hands that will give me a mathematical advantage vs them for a start. I will go back to the fundamental of good solid poker and slowly improve my game such that I can compete with the best of the best at 50nl.


Anyway, an interesting hand vs a mega whale today. How on earth did this fish not being able to fold his QQ when it is so obvious that I have him beat all the way?


Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

BTN: $85.31 (170.6 bb)
Hero (SB): $61.55 (123.1 bb)
BB: $35.03 (70.1 bb)
UTG+1: $60.01 (120 bb)
UTG+2: $66.30 (132.6 bb)
MP1: $20.94 (41.9 bb)
MP2: $57.32 (114.6 bb)
MP3: $61.24 (122.5 bb)
CO: $124.21 (248.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A of diamonds K of hearts
UTG+1 raises to $1.50, 2 folds, MP2 calls $1.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $5.50, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $4, MP2 folds

Flop: ($13) 2 of clubs A of spades 2 of hearts (2 players)
Hero bets $10, UTG+1 calls $10

Turn: ($33) A of hearts (2 players)
Hero bets $16, UTG+1 calls $16

River: ($65) 5 of spades (2 players)
Hero bets $30, UTG+1 calls $28.51

Results: $122.02 pot ($2.50 rake)
Final Board: 2 of clubs A of spades 2 of hearts A of hearts 5 of spades
Hero showed A of diamonds K of hearts and won $119.52 ($59.51 net)
UTG+1 showed Q of diamonds Q of hearts and lost (-$60.01 net)

Haha... let me try to put myself into his shoes and explain why he can't fold his QQ:

Preflop

  • Damn, I got squeezed. But hey, I got QQ, it is worth a call. Lets' look at the flop and see how.
Flop:
  • Urghh... there is an ace of the board. But hey, that is just 1 overcard on the board. Maybe he is squeezing me with a wide range.  Maybe if I hit my queen on the turn, I got good implied odds. Maybe... urghhh. Anything. I just can't fold my QQ. 
Turn:
  • Hmm. Another ace. Maybe he doesn't have an ace at all. Maybe he is bluffing me! Haha... I don't care. I just can't fold my QQ in case he was bluffing!
River:
  • OMG. He is putting me all in. Maybe I am really beat. But with so much money in the pot, and hey, I still have QQ. I can't fold. So I call....

No comments:

Post a Comment